Friday, June 20, 2008

It's (finally) Summer!

We have been enjoying the newly warm weather for the past week. I wanted to post all of these events individually, but all of the sudden I had more to post than I had time for, so here are some of the highlights:

We visited the fish hatchery last weekend. It wasn't all that exciting, but the fish get huge! Apparently they used to grow to over 1500 pounds before they dammed the river and started a canal system. I tried to post a link to a picture of this famous sturgeon, but I can't seem to figure out how. Maybe if I figure it out later I will, otherwise, if you're interested do a google image search for "snake river sturgeon" and it's the second picture.


Kaiya played in the sprinklers one day. They were just on when we got home and she stood in the mist for a while and decided she liked it. She didn't want to get too close, but it was so cute watching her reaction to this new sensation.



Another day We got out Kaiya's wading pool and let her play. I had forgotten to fill it up earlier so the water would be warm, so it was pretty cold when I put her in. She sat down at first but then decided it was way too cold and that she'd much rather stand and play. She had a good time throwing the toys out of the pool and then climbing out to throw them back in. It's great that she's entertained by such small things.

The other day Patrick purchased a tent, so we decided to have a front yard campout. Some of you may be thinking, "but you hate camping". Well, this is true, but I have decided to give camping a second chance. So we slept out in the yard, and despite Kaiya going to bed nearly 2 hours late, she did really well falling asleep. The problem was that it got colder than we had anticipated during the night, so if you moved at all from your warm spot you could feel the chill, and she kept waking up about every half hour crying, then would fall back to sleep. But of course Patrick and I couldn't fall back to sleep quite as quickly. So at around 5 we decided to come back inside and get at least 2 hours of continuous sleep. It was kind of a fun experience, but due to the exhaustion felt the next day, an experience that I hope to enjoy only seldomly. But we're really excited that summer is upon us and that we can do so many new activities with Kaiya!

1 comment:

Pacers said...

I meant to tell you that your camping story was hilarious, and that you look adorable. Your dress is totally cute too.