Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Week in Review

Today is Patrick's first day back at work after his 2 weeks off and home with us. Besides Kaiya not taking a nap and Leah having a few screaming bouts, it hasn't been too bad. Hopefully things will continue to go well. This week finally feels like we're getting out of the fogginess of having a newborn and resuming somewhat of normal life. At least sometimes. We took Leah to church Sunday for the first time. Here's a photo of the girls in their matching dresses:Too cute! I hope they don't hate me for it, but I like to dress them up to match. Leah did pretty well for her first time. But I remembered why heels aren't the greatest when you have to pace the hallways. We also tried giving the girls a bath together. We had only one incident, where Kaiya tried to help rinse Leah's hair by dumping a cup of water over her face, but besides that She was really good, and you can tell by the photo that Leah seems to like the bath just as much as Kaiya does. We took Leah to her two week checkup last week. She's gaining weight and doing great, but we were a little concerned that she was becoming very much like Kaiya was as a newborn. Kaiya began crying more and more every day and at about 3 1/2 weeks we knew she had colic. So we spoke with the doctor about that, and he suggested I eliminate dairy from my diet for 4 days, then on the fifth day start eating it again, and see what happens. So I did. Leah seemed really happy for those 4 days, and we thought maybe we were wrong and she was going to be fine. Then I went back on dairy the fifth day, and everything fell apart. It reminded me so much of Kaiya as a newborn. So we had a difficult day and I'm back off dairy. And now Leah seems fine again. Unfortunately for me, this means no ice cream or chocolate, not to mention all the rest of it, for some time. But it's definitely worth it to have a happy baby. Otherwise, Leah is getting bigger everyday and finally filling out her newborn clothes. Kaiya is (most of the time) liking her new role as a big sister, and Patrick and I are trying to function on less sleep. But we've survived the first 3 weeks!


6 comments:

Christina said...

Nilesh went back to work today too and it's nice to know I'm not the only one trying to keep things together!!!

The girls look SO sweet in their matching dresses!

I'm sorry you've had to go off dairy- that truly sucks! I had to stop eating it with Joshua because he had allergies to it. Have you tried rice milk? It's not too bad...

How are the cloth diapers working out???

Pacers said...

I like the matching dresses too! They'll forgive you when they are moms themselves....

They look so cute in the bath together too :)

amy jane carpenter said...

I think i'm a total loser and i can't even remember if i told you congrats on #2!! So congrats! You have some very adorable little girls. The second brings on a whole new set of challenges, more so with with older child i think. Glad your doctor gave you a good suggestion on how to calm the colic. Going off dairy would be sooo hard for me. Silk brand Vanilla soy milk isn't too bad if you haven't already tried it. I also wanted to ask you if you have ever heard of Dunstan Baby. Look it up online and buy the DVD. You will not be sorry. It helped tons with Michael and I had the most pleasant newborn because it teaches you how to listen to their cries and know what they need. AMAZING. Seriously. If you have heard of it then i'm just a loser again making myself sound all smart.
Hope you know how much i love you!!!! And hope all is going well. we need to be email buddies again!

Keri said...

dont be ashamed about the matching outfits all three of my boys match all the time it just makes my heart flutter I cant help it. too cute. they look adorable together. Im glad you are surviving. Colic is the worst all mine had it too. Nothings impossible as a Mother. Dairy is so over rated. LOL you can do this. istn it just the most amazing feeling caring for your two little ones. what a beautiful life enjoy every moment. love ya

Noelle said...

Alia was having a really hard time and so I got off of dairy to see if it would help. The hardest thing to do! I would whip out a yogurt, excited to eat it, and then remind myself that I can't have it. Thank goodness for me it was a BM problem and not really colic. Good luck on that. Your girls are adorable and that tub picture is priceless!

The Giffs said...

Oh man... I could never live without dairy. The doctor tried to tell me to lay off the dairy when Sydney had colic and it just wasn't worth it to me :)

I'm not looking forward to having a newborn again with all those sleepless nights but I feel encouraged that you are surviving. Maybe I can do it too!