Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Look Alikes? Not so Much...

My friend Stephanie recently posted on her blog a picture of each of her kids at the same age and the same pose to show how similar they look. You could guess which one was which, and then look at the answer. I guessed, and was totally wrong. She even has a boy and a girl, but they look so much alike, they are practically identical. It was a fun post, and made me think of how I thought our girls would look alike. When Leah was born, both Patrick and I were surprised that we hadn't just had another little Kaiya. So I thought I would post a picture of each of them at one month old to show how different they are. Of course, they are baby pictures, so they both have the baby look, but you can see that they don't really look alike. But we think they are both cute:)


In other news, we took Leah to the doctor for her 6 week checkup. When we told him about her crying pattern, he said, "so she has colic". I was trying to convince myself that I could have a baby without colic, and since she wasn't crying all day long like Kaiya did, just keeping to the entire evening, I thought maybe it was normal newborn crying. But apparently 5 hours in the evening isn't normal. So even the going off of dairy didn't seem to help, at least not enough for me to continue restricting my diet so much. The funny (or not so funny) thing is that her crying got much worse after our trip to Carson for her blessing, and with Kaiya her colic started right after our trip to Tokyo. We've decided never to travel with a newborn again.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow you're right...they don't look much alike, yet you can still tell they are sisters! Both SO cute! I love Leah's coloring! Oh, and I failed to mention in the last post how much I love the last picture of Kaiya with Leah...she looks so cute and I love her facial expression!

So sorry to hear about all the crying! I can understand what it's like to a certain extent...not 5 hours straight though...wow! Hope things start getting better through the night times!

Matti said...

Hey, Have you seen Happiest Baby on the block? The techniques in it might help. I am a BIG BELIEVER in swaddling. If you can't get your hands on a copy of the movie, you can You Tube Happiest Baby on the block. There are lots of people on there showing how to do his "5 s's" And there are a few clips of Dr. Harvey in interviews talking about them. Swaddle, side, shush, swing, suck (done in this order). Hope this helps you get a little more quiet time. I also have the video and can mail you a copy if you like. Just let me know. mattigparker@hotmail. Good luck!

Elena said...

There's also a Happiest Baby on the Block book. I just borrowed it from the library.

Keiko said...

They are super cute and looks different. You are so lucky to enjoy that. I also enjoy Kaiya being a big sister. It's so cute. We'll see if we'll have a Fiona look alike baby girl or James look alike baby girl, or very different looking baby . . . And thanks for Matti's comments. I'm gonna search on you tube!

Chelsea said...

She is the cutest little girl! I wonder if they will look more like each other as they get older.

Blissful said...

They're so adorable! Congrats to the two beautiful girls Patrick and Crystal! :) I love watching them grow up on the blog. It sounds like you two are settling in well in your new digs. Miss you guys and happy to see that the family is doing well! Big hugs! :)
love,
Ames :)
p.s. I got a new blog for Istanbul.