Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Our Family Tree



One day a few weeks ago we made a trip to Costco and saw that they had cherry trees, and I had to have one. The sentimental value in this tree is that last year Kaiya was born during the cherry blossom festival in Japan, which is a huge deal and symbolic of new life and all that, so cherry blossoms remind me of my baby girl and I now love them. So we bought this tree, even though we have no land to plant it in and will possibly be renting for the next several years, so we also bought a large pot to put it in. The tree is small now, but eventually it will be huge (it grows to about 25ft tall) and will be filled with beautiful blossoms. I have to say that my husband was very kind to indulge me in this, since it wasn't the most practical of purchases (and anyone who knows my husband knows that practicality is everything to him). So last Saturday the weather was finally nice enough to go outside and plant our tree as a family. Okay, it was mostly Patrick planting the tree and me taking pictures (and Kaiya trying to eat rocks), but we were together and it was a lot of fun. And for the record Kai only got a few rocks into her mouth and I promptly made her spit them out.

2 comments:

Pacers said...

Awww, you made Kai spit out the rocks? They are so tasty though...

I don't know what's with kids & rocks. Mia was on our balcony the other day and was licking the rock siding stuff. I was seriously wondering if she was lacking something in her diet.....

Elena said...

I ADORE cherry trees. We have a cherry blossom festival every year in DC. There are seriously, like 5,000 cherry trees in the city and it is just gorgeous!!! You're so lucky you'll have your very own to enjoy the wonders of the fluffy pink popcorn blossoms in the springtime :)