Thursday, December 17, 2009

Why I work for the National Park Service

It's certainly not for the pay. But there are a lot of perks. One of them is training. In the ten months since I started working at Death Valley I've started training to be a firefighter, emergency medical responder and perform search and rescues. And those aren't even parts of my actual job description. On top of all that, for in depth training we are sent to some of the most amazing places. For example, for the first two weeks of December, I went to the Grand Canyon for training. And I do mean at the Grand Canyon, not close to it. A short walk and we could be on the rim at any time. As I continue my career, locations such as Yosemite, Hawaii Volcanoes, the Statue of Liberty, Washington DC, Gettysburg are all places that we fully expect to live/work/train at. And those are just some of the reasons we love the NPS!

The photos below show the changing weather I experienced while there (in reverse order). It was great weather for the first few days, then it got cold and started to snow, and kept snowing. Normally 18" of snow and -10 degrees might not be too bad, but coming from Death Valley, I almost died.

(On a side note, Crystal and the girls were unable to come along this time, but instead her sister and 2 kids visited for a week. Also, her brother and 2 boys came to visit. Do I love my family?-Yes I do. Am I glad I was gone when there were 6 kids (4 under the age of 3) & 4 adults trying to go to bed?- Yes I am.)








2 comments:

Noelle said...

Oh my gosh! That's such a huge difference. It sounds like you are loving your job and that is awesome. Hope you guys are doing good!

Keri said...

I found you finally. I changed my blogged address and have lost touch ever since. I just typed in what i thought to remember you address and here you are. Yeah im so glad i found you. WOW pat i cant believe all the wonderful places you get to go and being a firefighter in training is awesome my boys would love ot hear that. they are obsessed with firemen. glad to see the fam doing well and crystal glad to see you adjusting well to two little girls and getting yourself out and about to manage the chaos. it always feels good to get out and do something. that ice cream shop looks like fun. leah is getting so big and very cute and kiaya is simply beautiful can you believe our babies will be 3 in a couple of months crazy huh. well nice seeing you guys again and catching up. just a side not we are pregnant with our 4th due mid sept. this will be our final last baby so im savoring each and every moment throughout this pregnancy. love ya guys. keri