Thursday, May 14, 2009

Leah Rachel Taylor

She's here!! Our little Leah Rachel was born Monday morning at 5:48am. I started having contractions Sunday afternoon, and by dinner time I knew it was the real thing. I wanted to stay home as long as I could, so after washing dishes, sweeping the floor, picking up toys, and putting Kaiya to bed, we tried to relax a little and watch a DVD. I still didn't feel like I was ready to go to the hospital, so after a while we tried to go to sleep. I couldn't sleep at all, and at about midnight I decided we were definitely going to have to go to the hospital before morning. So I got up and started fixing Kaiya's food for the next day, since we were going to leave her with our neighbor, and we finished packing up and got ready to go. After our neighbor Nathalie came to stay with Kaiya, we started our 2 hour drive to the hospital. after a few bathroom stops and one very curious gas station attendant, we made it to the hospital around 3am. When we got there, I was only dilated to 3, but the contractions were coming really close together, so we were admitted. I didn't want to be hooked up to anything, but the nurse insisted I wear the fetal monitor and come back to the machine every 20 minutes to check it, so I wasn't able to walk around as freely as I had hoped. Patrick was so amazing during the whole labor. He rubbed my back during every contraction and helped me stay focused. After about 2 and a half hours the nurse came to check our progress, and said I was at about an 8. I was so relieved. I never thought during the labor that I couldn't do it anymore, but there were a few times I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it anymore. But once I heard how far along I already was I knew I could make it without any drugs. It was only a few minutes later that my water broke, and right away I needed to push. I told Patrick to go get the nurse, and when she came in she started yelling at me to stop pushing and wait for the doctor. I told her I couldn't help it and when another nurse came in to help she said "it's too late, she's crowning". So they flipped me over and the nurse delivered the baby as I lay sideways on the bed. It all happened really fast, but everything worked out great and the baby and I were totally fine. The doctor showed up about 15 minutes later, a little surprised that everything was overwith already. It was an amazing birth and this recovery has been so much better than it was the first time around. We're all home now and getting used to having a family of 4. Kaiya loves her little sister and wants to help out all the time. I realized when we were putting these pictures up that we don't even have a decent picture of the child yet, so more to come. But that's the good news for now!!

10 comments:

Keri said...

ongrats you guys. she is beautiful from what I can see. Im glad thnigs went smooth and you stayed home as long as you could. youre one brave girl im to scared to deliver without the doc so i force myself to hold it in which is a nightmare everytime it must have felt good to just relax and get her out so peaceful so quick. congrats. cant wait to see more pics

Annie said...

Congratulations Patrick, Crystal, and Big Sister Kaiya!! I am so happy for all of you. I cant wait for more baby pics. SO glad to hear the birth story was not a nightmare, since ya had me worried with that whole driving distance issue. Patrick, of course you are fabulous and I am so glad you married my dear cousin. Crystal, you are absolutely a champion! What a wonderful labor story. You are amazing. I know you are now officially exponentially more busy now that you have two kids but keep the posts coming. I love reading about your adventures. With much Love and Happiness,
Annie

Elena said...

Congrats, Taylor Family! Crystal, I am so proud of you for having the natural birth you were hoping for! Way to go!! Leah is an absolute doll. I can't wait to see more pics of that little sweetie pie and her family XOXO

Pacers said...

Way to go Crystal!!! You're a champ! Little Leah looks beautiful already - and I love the picture with Kaiya touching her face - so sweet. Can't wait to talk to you and catch up.

Ash said...

YAY!!! That is awesome! Congratulations!! She is beautiful! I'm glad everything went well for you!

Laura said...

congratulations!!! That's so great that you were able to do it without any drugs and that it pretty fast! She's such a pretty little girl!

Noelle said...

YAY!!! Congratulations Crystal and Patrick! It sounded like you had a great experience. I'm so happy that everything went well. How was that compared to Japan? Well congratulations again! She's so precious!

Christina said...

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful! And wow- you did it without any drugs- way to go! How much did she weigh?

Keiko said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad everything went well. Kaiya is so cute with her little sister! Hope you are getting some sleep! Miss you guys!

The Giffs said...

Congratulations! I can't believe you did it without any meds. Way to go! I'm glad everything went so smoothly for you (well, that is that you were able to make it) and that's crazy that the doc didn't even make it. Kaiya is so so cute with her! I love it. What a great big sister.