Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Old Wives

I thought it would be fun to compile a list of some of the Old Wive's Tales about gender prediction and see what their prediction for this baby would be. Here goes:

1.)If you carry out front, boy, if you carry wide, girl. Boy

2.)If you crave sweets, girl, meat or cheese, boy. Boy

3.)If you get uglier, girl (girls steal their mother's beauty). Boy (I did get much uglier with Kaiya, but luckily this time I've stayed the same ugly)

4.)Pregnancy acne, girl. Boy

5.)Dry hands, boy, soft hands, girl. Boy (although I think winter has something to do with it)

6.)More comfortable lying on the left side, boy, right side, girl. Girl

7.)Craving orange juice, girl. Girl

8.)Extreme nausea during the first trimester, girl. Boy

9.)Baby's heartbeat over 140, girl, under 140, boy. Girl

10.) If the baby's father gains weight with mom, boy, if not, girl. Girl

Looks like the Old Wives are predicting a boy this time. However, we had our ultrasound Monday, and the doctor is predicting a girl!! Take that Old Wives! Everything looked great with the baby, except that she is breech right now so it was really hard to see her. She was all curled up with her bottom down, so the tech told us she could only say that she couldn't see any boy parts. She gave us a 60% chance of having a girl. That's barely better than guessing. But then the Dr. came in and looked around at a few different angles, and said he was 99% sure it's a girl. But there was really no good view, so we are prepared for a possible surprise in the delivery room! Here's the photo we got, but like I said there were not really any good views, so this is the best they could do.

And here's one of the belly just shy of 22 weeks.

Since most of our friends are either expecting or have recently had babies, what did the Old Wives predict for you? Were they right (if you know yet)?

5 comments:

Pacers said...

Congratulations! Another girl! Super fun! Poor Patrick. And your small belly is unbelievable. It's so unfair.

Elena said...

Yahoo! Congrats!! So, for oldwives tales - Carry in front (Boy) Yes, Preg.Acne (Girl) No, OJ cravings (Girl) No, Extreme Nausea 1st trimester (Girl) No, Father gains weight (Boy) No.

And I had a girl! Take that pregnancy old wives tales! People SWORE up and down that I was having a boy and even looked like they felt sorry for me when I told them I was having a girl, even when I told them the DOCTOR said it was a girl. And she was!!!

Christina said...

Those are so fun- thanks for posting them! I ended up with 5 of each so who knows!?

Sarah Pittard said...

Wahoo!! Another little Girly!! FUN FUN!!!

Laura said...

1- carry out front, boy
2- I haven't really been craving anything but I haven't been as many sweets as usual they just don't sound good, boy
3- My hair is thinner but otherwise about the same, girl?
4- no pregnancy acne, my skin has improved, boy
5- dry hands, boy
6- more comfortable on right side, girl
7- I have been eating the frozen concentrate OJ straight from the can with a spoon, yum!, girl
8- more nausea than with first two but I wouldn't say severe, girl?
9- heartbeat over 140, girl
10- Michael has been losing weight, so unfair!, girl

so 4 for a boy and 6 for a girl ultrasound said girl, maybe the wives tales have some rooting in truth!?

what a fun post!